Breast augmentation is one of the most famous plastic surgery procedures performed in South Korea. As the country is becoming a medical tourism spot, many women are choosing to have breast surgery in the country.
One of the most essential parts of having a breast augmentation is looking for the right of breast implants to use for your surgery. Many breast implant brands are available in Korea. In particular, there are five known breast implant brands in Korea: Motiva®, Mentor®, SEBBIN, Natrelle®, and BellaGel.
If you are interested in having your surgery in South Korea and are currently looking for the right implants, here is a guide on all the things you need to know about these brands.
Motiva® Breast Implant
In medical clinics in South Korea, most plastic surgeons use Motiva® Breast Implant. Motiva®, the 6th Generation breast implant, is developed by Establishment Labs, which has over 30 years of experience in breast implant manufacturing. The brand is cleared for commercial distribution in over 60 countries worldwide, including South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and, most recently, the Philippines.
Motiva® is available in two variants: Motiva® Round Implant and Motiva® Ergonomix™. Motiva® Round Implant is filled with a firm, stable gel known as ProgressiveGel Plus™, giving a round and full aesthetic appearance, with the highest projection. While Motiva® Ergonomix™ uses ProgressiveGel Ultima™, which is designed for a more anatomic shape and softer feel, allowing the implant to mimic the natural movement of the breasts. Ergonomix™ looks like a round implant when lying down, and an anatomical implant when standing up.
Furthermore, both Round and Ergonomix™ Implants feature the following medical innovations:
- SmoothSilk™/SilkSurface™ — the smooth outer surface of the implants, created through 3D nanotechnology imprinting. The smooth surface helps minimize the growth and attachment of bacteria that can cause complications such as BIA-ALCL (Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma). Also, Motiva® does not use materials such as salt and sugar crystals in its production, thus making it even more biocompatible.
- BluSeal® — an indicator helping surgeons verify the presence of a protective layer surrounding the implants, making it easier to detect implant defects such as gel bleed and ruptures. The BluSeal® indicator has complied with the American Society of Testing and Materials and ISO’s rigorous safety standards.
- TrueMonobloc® — allows the implant to be stretched and be easily inserted through a small incision (2.5 cm to 3 cm) without ruining the surface of the implant, resulting in a smaller scar when healed.
- Q Inside Safety Technology™ — the first RFID microtransponder for use in humans cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which allows healthcare providers to distinguish implant information even outside the body.
Motiva® is not only for its aesthetic quality, but it is also making a name for its safety. A 6-year prospective study showed less than 1% of cases of implant complications, such as double capsule, late seroma, and BIA-ALCL (Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma), among patients who used Motiva® Breast Implant.
Mentor® Breast Implant
MENTOR® was founded in 1969 and has been dedicated to producing high-quality breast implants for over 30 years. The brand offers a wide range of silicone and saline breast implants and other related products for breast augmentation and reconstruction surgeries.
Breast implants by MENTOR® include MENTOR® MemoryGel®, MENTOR® MemoryShape®, and MENTOR® Saline Breast Implants.
- MENTOR® MemoryGel® Breast Implant has a soft, natural feel with increased projection, fullness, and firmness. It comes in two profile options, Moderate Plus and High Profile.
- MENTOR® MemoryShape® Breast Implant uses a cohesive gel that results in a smooth and natural silhouette. This implant gives a natural breast appearance through maximum projection to the lower part of the breast.
- MENTOR® Saline Breast Implant uses a saltwater solution, resulting in a firmer feel and adjustable volume depending on the desired result. It has three projection options and a smooth outer shell. It comes in two different variants, Round Saline Breast Implant and SPECTRUM® Adjustable Saline Breast Implant.
All materials used in manufacturing MENTOR® Breast Implants are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The brand continues to closely monitor its products’ clinical performance through clinical studies, registries, and post-market surveillance activities.
SEBBIN Breast Implant
Another implant for breast augmentation in Korea is SEBBIN breast implants. The French company, SEBBIN, has developed, manufactured, and marketed implants and medical devices for cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries for more than 30 years.
SEBBIN offers both round and anatomical implants, filled with either silicone gel, with a variety of firmness, or saline solution, with different projections and sizes. Their range of options includes Smooth Round Breast Implant, Round Micro Textured Breast Implant, Textured Round Breast Implant, and Anatomical Textured Breast Implant.
These implants are manufactured in France, using semi-traditional crafting of silicone, where the products are made by hand to ensure quality control of the product. Each Implant is then marked by laser with an identification code, allowing traceability of necessary implant information.
The brand also ensures safety by using raw materials that are registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It follows the ISO 9001 and ISO 13458, which are standards for consistent, quality product manufacturing. SEBBIN implants also have certified CE marking, meaning it follows health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products.
Natrelle® Breast Implant
Natrelle® is a product of Allergan, one of the largest manufacturers of available breast implant, with a wide range of silicone and saline implants available in South Korea, Philippines, and more than 60 countries worldwide.
The brand comes in two variants: Natrelle INSPIRA® and Natrelle® Saline-Filled Breast Implant.
- Natrelle INSPIRA® is filled with a gummy gel (cohesive gel), which gives varying levels of softness. The gummy-like consistency of the silicone gel holds the implant’s shape. Natrelle INSPIRA® comes in 3 different gummy gels, with varied shapes and softness.
- Natrelle® Saline-Filled Breast Implant is filled with saline solution, instead of their gummy gel, with a wide range in sizes, profiles, and fullness, from low to high.
Natrelle® Breast Implants are considered one of the gummiest (high level of cohesivity) gel implants in the US. When cut, Natrelle INSPIRA® ‘s cohesive gel stays in place. It is protected by a state-of-the-art breast implant shell that is designed to keep the gel inside.
BellaGel Breast Implant
One local Korean breast implant brand that is gaining popularity is BellaGel. The brand is developed and clinically tested by Hans Biomed Corp. and was first introduced in August 2017. Their production also follows the production process management and quality test of the International Guideline.
BellaGel implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel. The material has high viscoelasticity, assuring a soft, natural feel and shape after the surgery. It is covered with a fine and smooth surface implant shell, with a barrier layer that prevents gel leakage due to rupture. The brand offers a wide range of implants of different sizes and five different projections, including low, special medium, medium, high, ultra-high.
When choosing the right implant for your breast augmentation surgery, make sure to pay attention to not only the brand’s aesthetic quality but also its innovation and safety. An additional tip, do not only look at the price but also study each brand’s warranty programs. This way, your safety will be assured even after the surgery.
To learn more about breast augmentation in South Korea, visit the Korea Breast Surgery website.